The main objective of this proposal is to reduce the concentration of nitrates in the integral water cycle, implementing an integrated, innovative, simple, economical, sustainable and transferable system, based on the use of an adsorption bed manufactured with Active silica from the ash produced by the controlled burning of rice straw.
1. To construct and validate a prototype (I) for the purification of water with a high nitrate content by means of an adsorption bed of active silica, obtained from the controlled incineration of rice straw in a fluidised bed boiler of the Spouted Bed type adapted for this purpose.
2. Develop a pedagogical guide to promote the reduction of at least 20% in the use of nitrogen fertilisers among farmers.
3. To reduce by at least 30% the nitrate concentration of an effluent of 130L/day of water in:
1. in direct well water from 65-75 ppm below 50 ppm in drinking water to facilitate compliance with the European Nitrates Directive 91/676/EEC;
2. in the reject effluent from the reverse osmosis plant, 120-180 ppm.
Validate a PROTOTYPE to obtain active silica from the controlled incineration of rice straw to obtain silica-rich ash.
To obtain the objetives:
Validate a prototype for the preparation and implementation of active silica beds to reduce the concentration of nitrates in the water cycle by acting:
1. On the headwater (from groundwater) and rejection in an osmosis plant.
2. On well water for human consumption in small municipalities to reduce the nitrate concentration below 50 ppm, without the use of an osmosis plant.
In addition, we aim to:
a comprehensive system of awareness among farmers to promote the use of fertilizers with low environmental impact.
the project in the general policies of the EU and promote a plan of political intervention that promotes specific lines of financing in the Operational Programs
the impact of the project in environmental, social and economic terms.
the sustainability, replicability, transferability and transnationality of the proposed strategies and innovations in the EU as a whole.
Spread and publicize ...
the results obtained for users, clients, territorial agents and society in general.